Sunday, April 10, 2005

cats

Saturday, 9 April 2005 T: 23 27
A few hours ago, in the cool Friday night, I have the urge to play LAN, especially being deprived for so long (25 x 360 seconds). I did not make it though. For those who know me well, almost nothing can stop me, yet my desire was overcome, my self won over, my temptation beaten, by cats.

In my neighbourhood years ago, one would see an old woman lugging a basket of food every evening. She would spend her time feeding the hungry strays, and then cleaning up after them. Age seems not stop her love for the animals that roam her neighbourhood. Today, her work is continued by another lady (younger), and I’m sure, several others as well. I am always touched by their acts of kindness towards their feline friends, td that perhaps a speck of humanity still liese in this power-crazed world, touched that people do care, spending time and money on cats that seem not reciprocated their generosity. Tonight, I met that woman, I learn a lot from her, somehow feeling that I’m out my way in this ‘veterinary’ business.
Besides the block of flat I’m living in, is a small park – an open space. Home and territory to four cats, it is almost insignificant to most people, to passer-bys on their hectic life to work or school, much to the relief of its residents. There is a while one with grey stripes (named Striker by the woman). She’s the most friendly of the lot, not really wary of the humans that stomp past her, instead just lying on the ground, rolling playfully while enjoying the cool breeze. She’s smart, capable of recognising people (and food). She knows me somehow tonight, swinging a paw at me now and then when I sat beside her. I flinched each time, though I’m pretty sure she won’t hurt me, but I guess I am still claw-fearing. (kind of being reminded of L.P. – initials of a girl, guess). There is another black fellow (hum ji; cowardice in a Chinese dialect), very shy guy, and run to the safety of the car when insecure, pity though, since he don’t really get to enjoy the food that people may bring. Then again, perhaps he has saved himself countless times too.
There is another black-brown one (or rather black with brown patches), the so-called dominant male. He is rather territorial, which is good since he actual limited the strays in that area to four.
That lady recounted that once he actual chased Striker up the tree, frightening her and all. I guess there’s no such thing as gentlemanliness in the feline world, which is good sometimes huh? Haha. Guess he don’t find her attractive as such. Maybe it is a result of sterilisation. Shrug…
It’s very comforting to sit besides a cat appreciating the night sky together, observing its actions and pranks, enjoying the softness of fur. (quite a luxury to have a portable cushion) Maybe I should do this often, perhaps even mugging in the meantime, presenting to cats a delightful image of Man, hopefully changing their attitude, and knowledge that not all people are "bastards". Pardon my crudeness, but I find no other words befitting of the damned people in this world. A while ago, there was a black cat suffering injuries after wandering off. He was abused. The vet suspected his injuries as caused by a falling from high ground. Surely he won’t be so stupid to fall off himself. Someone must have thrown him, someone who is that inhumane and condemned. I can’t imagine how certain people have such a lack of conscience as to commit such atrocity!

I may not get to be a vet at the end of the day. I know very well how difficult it will be to get a scholarship, especially being in such a competitive education system. The fact that I’m born in the Dragon Year in the Chinese calendar doesn’t help matters too. But I know very well that being one or not will not change my interest in animals. I’ll simply take over the work of the woman and simply attend to the hungry strays, making sure that the cat population is controlled. I’ll live in a flat, I’ll have a puppy and kitten and an egg, and I’ll gradually raise them up, hoping that they will grow to be patient and loving to one another. I will not cage them, will not restrain them, at least once they reach adulthood. For a simple reason. Because of love, I would want to give them a freedom of choice, the ability to make a choice to stick with me or to embrace the wild.
_________________________________________________________________________
And if I, a mere human, think this way, how much more autotomy God will grant Man because of his immense and incomparable love?! It is because of His love for his creation that he did not make us like robots, restrained to his will. He wants us to have a freedom of choice, and he hopes that we will choose him. We did not, in our disobedience and rebellion, and he is saddened and anguished. Yet because of his love, he sent his son to die for us, to reconcile us.
Behold the grace of Lord our God, so immense that he sent his one and only son to die for us! Behold the love of Jesus Christ, so selfless that he sacrificed his own life for us, mere Man! Behold the power of the spirit, with counsel so wise beyond the fathom of man!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

good on ya.

i think i'm coming to realise that what makes a good vet is more than the immense love for animals and sensitivity towards them. i mean it really depends what kind of vet you want to become; whether its your small animals vet kinda thing or like what, research or yeah. i guess you could do so much..?

but yeah my rationale for wanting to be a vet is that if i have the calibre to have such qualifications to help animals in a way that not everyone can, why not. and i know you have the heart for it, which is probably the thing that sets a good vet apart. so yeah, work hard for it. :)

but i guess at the end of the day it doesn't matter that much vet or not. more than one way that you can help animals. and yeah i guess ultimately who you're serving is God.

anyway, i am still looking for a home for my cat! :( you reaaaaaaaaaalllllllly can't take it in..? :|

8:28 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

figured this is the best way for u to read my reply to your comment on my blog. :)
just for the record i'm not cantonese :) just that everyone speaks cantonese. prob due to my grandmother's influence. i'm teochew. haha. whatever that means yeah.
and i do agree with what u said abt intelligence and self-centredness. hm.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters