tnyf
Tuesday, 15 March 2005 T: 11 32 YF.
I’ve joined YF in June 2001, walking in a desultory fashion in the hotel, in total obsession with my game devices. Perhaps God found me, and led me to YF, where I spend the next 3 and half years growing in my faith. I’ve joined Y Com about a year later, volunteering my services, with the sole aim to make YF a better place. When I left in November 2004, is it with regrets or gratification? Is YF a better place?
Recently, it seems that more and more are leaving YF. It started with two, but soon the group grows bigger. I’ve heard voices of discouragement, even from my brother. Skipping YF becomes a novelty; something that one is glad of. Have I really left YF a better place, or rather, has YG grown over the years? Depressed and dismal over the current circumstance, it seems I am powerless to do anything.
It started with Leo’s guitar. Soon, we have a band. Yet is YF a better place? If the measurement of the progress of the church is by the Christ-centeredness, then ostensibly it is not.
I’ve heard countless reasons for the growing apathy and decreasing zeal and enthusiasm. ‘Childishness and immaturity of fellow brothers have not enabled one to grow spiritually.’ ‘Recreational fun has come to a halt.’ ‘The boring teachings of the youth leaders’. These three sums up most of reasons I’ve heard.
It voices down to the purpose of YF at the end of the day. Is it to generate fun? Is it to relieve stress? It is simply a church, and the purpose of every church should be edification and glorification of God.
I have considered myself a Christian, and yet I often wonder what set me apart from non-believers? Is it only the last line of my prayers – ‘in the name of Jesus I pray, Amen’? I wish to challenge every Christian to think along these lines. I hope that youths will not quit in discouragement and resignation, but instead to teach and admonish those youths with weaker faith.
Also, to all who are serving God in the YF, be it in the areas of music, logistics or recreation, I pray for you to persevere and not falter in despair and exhaustion. Remember that it is God you are serving at the end of the day, and it is always wise to store up treasures in heaven. To those in jobs that requires more leadership, I pray for your patience in tolerating irresponsibility and immaturity in a certain lot, pray for your persistence in continuing chasing after youths (though I would advise you to exclude those who are not at all interested). Remember that even in the church’s office, Lin Choo still has to chase people for schedules, even pastors for submitting sermons’ points for printing! Therefore, be encouraged, be prayerful and yar, remain faithful.

2 Comments:
Thanks for your insights.
True "fellowship" is found only in Christ. True youth "fellowship" is to reflect Christ death for our sakes - selflessness, service, perseverence in taking up the cross to follow.
No ministry's job is to entertain - go watch TV. No ministry's job is to tickle ears - go get a monkey :)
We (both 'leaders' and youths) are to serve and to learn from God's word together
To those who think they've outgrown/outmature/outbored the fellowship, they need more mirrors at home.
hey.. very insightful. well i guess as sincheng said fellowship is in christ. but i guess to have a "good" youth fellowship, on top of being christ-centred, being "on" abt God and stuff.. i think it still has to in a way.. "attract" youths. haha. i am being very ambiguous i think with all my "" but yeah dont worry abt it too much. continue to pray abt it and maybe you can choose to help out in yf. make it the "better" place you.. and i guess i.. want it to be.
cheers.
Post a Comment
<< Home