responsible writing
Thursday, 17 March 2005 T: 23 24 Blogging.
With the advent of improved satellite technology, access to the Internet has become convenient and efficient. Perhaps this has brought about the current fad of blogging. I was quite surprised to know that there are so many people around me who kept online journals, even the older ones. Professors too write blogs on latest research and development. In the latest issue of Newsweek, it is reported that some of the blogs have been sold as books.
I enjoy reading the opinions of others, looking through the entries, sometimes amused by their recounts of their own lives, sometimes impressed by their wisdom displayed through their writings, at other times touched and moved. These entries I will keep of course, perhaps with the thought that I’ll have recreational fun perusing them 10 years down the road.
For myself, I keep a blog as well. Through it I hope, I can inspire and perhaps even influence my readers. I have my own diary apart from my blog. In it contains the more detailed descriptions of my life – entertainment for me when I’m finally a senior citizen. I never comprehend the idea of writing blog so personal and it must be password secured to disallow others from reading. With the many hacking devices, I see not the significance of doing so. To me, any writing on the Internet is for public’s viewing. Then again, it’s up to the writer to decide.
“The pen is mightier by the sword” is a very common proverb that is so true. We see this everyday in our high courts, debates, and even in our parliaments. The writer, with his words, is therefore capable of influence and propaganda, persuading the readers of his opinions, selling his views to them and ‘psyco’ them through words.
Blogging (writing online diaries) may be good for it grants deeper understanding from friends. Somehow, it will deepen friendships, perhaps even beginning one. Yet it can too be a vector for spreading rumours, gossip and influence. It is brilliant if the contents of the blog inspire, but like any other compositions it can too mislead, like deterring fellow Christians from their faith, causing them to stumble in their pursuit of life under God.
Often I come across entries proclaiming, “This is my blog, I can write whatever I want.” Is this the case? I would like to point out that blogging is very unlike diary writing, where we can jot down anything, but rather, it is more like penning novels and essays (since there is an audience) and therefore we must always exercise responsibility and caution when we write i.e. we do not wish to be negative influence.
I remember reading a Bookworm short story. In it, a character wrote about many flaws in the people around us. She did not mention names, but the friends around her know exactly that she’s writing about them. They are amused naturally by the exaggerated imperfections of peers and friends, but like normal human beings, they are upset when they came across their own blemishes. Sure, the essay generates interest in the form of amusement and humour. Yet, being gossip, it is simply gossip. Similarly, as Christian writers or writers with a conscience, we must be answerable to what we write.
I do admit my opinions on marriage may not be very right, and is flawed. I can imagine the extinction of the homo sapiens should I persuade everyone under the Sun.

1 Comments:
Hey Sherman, was surfing the web when i came across your blog and added it to an ARPC blog list. From this post, looks like you'll have no prob with that but let me know if you want out, k?
Post a Comment
<< Home