Tuesday, March 22, 2005

tnyf 2

Sunday, 20 March 2005
This entry is a continuation of the writing about YF I’ve made earlier. After some self-reflection, I fear that people may misunderstand my words, and so I decided to write another to clarify.
No, I’m not criticising the youths for leaving YF, especially when they feel that they aren’t growing spiritually in Christ. (The reason is probably due to the presence of the weaker-faith Christians) Pastor Chris himself it is perfect rationale when one decide to change church if he feels that his faith will grow stronger there. This reason is not at all a lame excuse. Rather, I am more concerned with the other issues.
YF has been for me helpful in my spiritual walk. Fellowship with fellow Christians and constant BS (which often brought about self-reflection) have influenced my life as a creation of God. I am worried that if people leave YF, they may lose that fellowship and good peer influence that they need, which is why having a church is so important – for edification. Some chose to skip YF and attend service instead. Is this enough? I doubt so, which is why I am glad that one of them decides to join a youth group in another church. Another two early leavers left for PUNJ and probably got their own DGs, so at least it is certain that they won’t backslide too much.
I am always encouraged in PUNJ when we actually gather and start discussing about God-related issues. My batch of J1s, I would like to think, are probably those who are stronger in faith as compared to some of the youths. (I’m not boasting). Our presence in YF last year probably can exert some positive influence towards Godliness. Now with us graduated, and the stronger one intending to leave, this peer encouragement is reduced. Is YF going to be thus in a continual state of decline?
It started with two. Soon, the list snowballed and expanded to include more. Some, as I have mentioned, knew the importance of having a DG besides attending service. They joined PUNJ under this knowledge. But the problem is that the weaker youths receive the wrong message. They skipped YF to play, skipped it using the reason that the others give, but this time, the same reason has become an excuse. When the first few started leaving YF, one could feel morale rapidly in a state of decline. Therefore, I wonder, if this leaving of YF is responsible and loving to the others? I find that difficult to answer. If personal growth jeopardise faith of others, then which comes first?
Similarly, in our blogging, when we blog about our discouragements from attending YF, the readers will be very much affected by them. The weaker ones again will see this in a new light. Yes it is one’s own blog and diary. But as Christians, is this loving and responsible to fellow brothers and sisters? (Sermon of the mount) I would not think so.
Well, those who leave YF can go PUNJ, it is argued. PUNJ should not close the doors to those under-aged fellows. If PUNJ accept these youths, surely the number will get bigger and soon, the same problem faced will arise again, except that this time it will be in PUNJ. Is this a vicious cycle? Perhaps not that much… since there are more mature Christians like Li Chuan and Paul. But there will be one nonetheless.
Just a few points I would like to highlight…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters