A quitter or stayer?
Friday, 11 March 2005 T: 12 06
As part of curiosity, I often ask some of my more intellectual friends, “If given a choice, will you choose to emigrate to other countries? If the answer is a yes, where on earth will you go?” As what the present Senior Minister had put it in a more insulting manner, “Are you a quitter or stayer?” When it becomes my turn to answer that question, I would take the former choice, but somehow, I’m still searching for an answer.
Men are thought to be more patriotic people, loyal to the country, and several years living in the same place will develop feelings and so-called sense of belonging. Women on the other hand are more family-loyal and thus patriotism is kept to a minimum. (In my opinion) For me, a guy, I guess living in a cosmopolitan society has influenced my thinking.
Perhaps the grass on the other side is always greener.
Yet somehow, I guess I have also got used to the hectic life in Singapore. If you were to ask me to relax, I may die of boredom. I hate stoning, sitting there doing nothing. But is life in Singapore too stressful? Well, people still live to an old age in Singapore.
There is not much nature here to look at. I guess I’ve gotten used to the sights of towering buildings and the concrete jungle, used to the complete organization of the nation – even the trees are in rows neatly arranged.
What then deters me from being a stayer?
For one thing, the weather. I love the dry weather of New Zealand, the cool feeling of running for 5km and not getting your clothes completely drenched, the dry weather that seems to negate the warmest temperature. Only bad thing is the drying out of lips. In worse cases, the skin split etc. But lip gloss will do the trick.
Secondly, the government. I’ve known a fair share of die-hard PAP fans, ‘psycoed’ by the social studies textbook. But I suppose I’m quite anti-government. I can’t stand the notion of having a one-party country. If there is another one, I don’t even know the name of it!
To me, there is seemly no point of indirect democracy. What happens if the government makes weird and disastrous policies? Is there anything the people can do besides waiting for the next General Election. Take the casino debate for e.g. The people has responded negatively to the government about the construction of the casino in Singapore. The churches, mosques, temples have all displayed disapproval. Yet the government pay no heed to the advice of the public, shrugs off the comments with a reply “You have elected us. It’s up to us to decide.” To them, economic growth and revenues is the most important. Fragility of the society is at stake. Besides, why the hell the pictures of the president and the first lady are placed all over Singapore, but they seem totally useless and powerless in making the decisions affecting the nation? I prefer American style of government.
We are known to be a republic. Are we? I seriously doubt so. It’s more like monarchy to me, the way the Lee family seem to hold the major posts in Singapore. Since independence, Singapore has only three prime ministers. Of these, two are lees and do you know they are father and son? Malaysian ex-prime minister is criticised for reluctance in handing over leadership to the next generation. But hey, Singapore first prime minister is still in the cabinet. To reduce criticism, he has called himself the Minister Mentor. Of course he’s mentoring his son! Temasek Holdings, the multi-national co-operation in Singapore, probably the most influential company in the country is linked to the government as well. Note that the CEO is our current Prime Minister’s wife. Besides, head of MediaCorp, communication services Starhub and Singtel are either friends of the Lees or relatives! Together they help to spread government propaganda. Take our TV Chinese serials. Every one just seems to have some coda or brainwashing tool. (Main reason why I prefer HongKong shows). So much for democracy… Then again, I guess every government of countries are corrupt in one way or two. If I am Lee Hsien Long’s (Prime minister) son, I’ll sure go into politics…
If you were a citizen of Singapore, will you be a quitter or stayer?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home