Monday, September 04, 2006

pride & prejudice

Monday, September 04, 2006 T: 18 27

As I frantically completed in the book by Jane Austen, abounding with eagerness to peruse the ending, I knew the reason why I found myself liking Pride & Prejudice. It is very much not because Keira Knightley is the actress of the movie, nor is it because the actors are very outstanding in their performances, but rather it is the script that I find myself loving, and I thank God that the director Joe Wright did not deviate much from the brilliant novel by Austen.

I find myself appreciating the dialogue among the characters very much. Each conversation is filled with a great amount of politeness and courtesy that can really well define a true gentleman and lady, very much unlike the rash and thoughtless outbursts among the people today, with tongues that lash out vulgarities all the time. Even criticisms are put across intelligently, often with a tinge of sarcasm. I wish I could speak like that, though doing so in this modern age would be tantamount to a social suicide and inviting condemnation and ostracization. No, it’s safer to stick to coarse language and humor, biased mocking and gossip.

The plot flows smoothly around the theme, beautifully shows how prejudice can lead to biasness which so often blinds people. I think I would have enjoyed the novel better if I had not watched the movie. Either way, I know why it has become a classic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters