the life of the true Christian
Sunday, 18 September 2005 T: 21 52
Distracted by a loud crash, the bible college lecturer rushed up to assess the situation. Upon reaching his home at the top, he learnt of his son’s fall from the window. Gripped by anxiety and fear, he flew down, to see his son lying on the ground. Hugging him with tears, he whispered a prayer in his heart in a moment.
“Freely, lord, you have given me this child, freely you shall take him away”.
Would I be able to give up the material, earthly treasures in my life? How many of us would, and yet it is expected of us Christians. Would I be able to see my examinations, my career, my qualifications, my house, my computer, my clothes, temporal and insignificant objects which is of no true value when compared to the heavenly rewards stored up for the faithful ones?
I can’t help, as I run in pursuit of the 5Cs, in supplication of my results, how hopelessly sinful, ungodly, foolish and selfish I am? For all these, when compared to God’s huge salvation plan for the world, are just mundane and useless things. Why then is there a need to pray for them. I should rather pray instead for my sins that are washed clean, for others, for revivals, for God to continue his work (not that my prayers will affect his decisions). I should be thankful, be content, satisfied, and even if I am to ask for more, it is for wisdom, for love, for tolerance!
One of wishes in whole life is the idea that the life of Christian can be taken away upon the possession of the faith through grace. Such fortune of course will never come. For the life of a Christian, is not just marked by the good works, by his love for God, but also for evangelising, spreading the good news of salvation, glorifying the One who is sovereign and omniscient. It is no wonder Paul wrote in his letter, “To live is Christ, and to die is gain.” Somehow, ironically, death seems beautiful, the beginning of a new life no longer enslaved by power of sin, of Satan, the flesh, but godly in both the mind and body. I can’t imagine myself not sinning, yet I can’t help but look forward to it, to be with the God who is my Creator yet loves his pathetic, rebellious creation. Yet on the other hand, it is my call to be here on Earth, to spread the news to others, be good ambassadors of Christ, living lives worthy of His name, glorifying the Risen One, be light to the world of darkness, to be His holy people, set apart from the pagans and unbelievers. That should be what that is integral to a Christian’s life.
We must know clearly that though God is unlimited by time, He chooses to work in time, and at last chooses to reveal the mystery more than 2000 years ago. And yet now He is patient, patient with humanity so that more can come to fall under His grace, and as his followers, we must be patient too, continue to persevere in Him, just like Noah and Abraham, knowing very one He will carry out his promises, and there will come a day when we will be finally vindicated.
Perhaps now the ultimate question we must ask ourselves daily is whether we are living holy lives we preach about. We could preach, speak of miracles and wonders about holy living, about righteousness, yet do we practise what we preach??? Will be we able to deny the world, ourselves, for the Cross? We can, with the help of God.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home