Friday, August 19, 2005

into the future

Into the future

Friday, 19 August 2005 T: 23 23

A most recent New Paper has shocked the hell out of thousands. Old boys and current students gasped and protested angrily in their minds when they realise that the traditions of their once beloved school and now still is being torn apart by a principal they would almost refer to as insane, who is only in pursuit in academic and recognised achievements. Victoria School, a all boys school, may be in the risk of becoming co-ed, that is mixed.

These few days have been a frantic rush for petitions against this decision. Students proclaim their hatred, their total lack of support against it. Even the old boys are provoked, and participate in this campaign. Ironically, it’s only when the Victorian spirit is least called for (at least by the principal), it is suddenly revived.

If by now, you think that I’m going to rave about this issue and curse and swear at it, repudiating this idea totally, I think you’ll be wrong. And no, I’m not at all some betrayer or traitor or whatsoever. My opinion simply revolves around a single question: Pragmatism, or Tradition?

In my four years, I would not hesitate to tell you I enjoy the environment, the culture and environment of an all boys’ school, perhaps soaked in apathy and slackiness. Yet the atmosphere is that of a minimal competitive one. People will persevere to do well, not quite as so to beat others, but for their own future. Of course, most just don’t quite give a damn about it until the very last minute. Yet despite all this, there do are achievements in both the sports arena and academic results, though the latter we may not be able to boast much in. Nevertheless, it has inculcated in me a relaxed attitude, perhaps even optimistic, but definitely stress is never prevailing, amounting to causing great anxiety or distress except perhaps until the very last minute. I expect many other guys to probably agree, that we seem to be more stress-free. That perhaps is a gift many would long for but probably never have, and that will let us survive in the harsh working world, though extreme slackiness would very much cause our results to plunge down. Remember that guy’s world is seldom full of gossip and backstabbing, perhaps characterised by a bit of violence now and then, but I rather people hit me right in the face than in my back.

Therefore, as a senior, as a pupil who have enjoyed pretty much his four years, I would gladly want the future generations of Victorians to partake in this culture and become people not too striving to beat others, but themselves. Yet the fact is that if the eradication of such a culture of apathy and idleness can promote better results and boost academic excellence, why not? As much as there is moral values and loyalty in following traditions, I feel that there is a need for practicality, and to be, nothing beats the exhilaration of seeing your own school achieving better and better results. The point however is if making the school co-ed will better its academic performance.

Some doubt so. But I believe Ang’s stubborn and self-opinionated point of view is that the implementation of this will bring about that change in culture he found the key reason for the underperformance of the students in this school. Being under his governance for 4 years, I could say that he is a bold man who would not hesitate to change, to adapt, for a good he defined for himself – mainly academic excellence. Certainly, I pretty much he will ever let traditions and heritage obstruct his ambitions as a principal.

In some ways, I too am a pragmatic and practical person who is goal-oriented. To me, traditions and pre-existing culture though set an identity are just objects which must be rid of to achieve the greater good, that is to make it a school in the top rankings, and train up a cohort of students diligent, ingenious and capable of critical thinking essential for the survival of Singapore. That, in my humble opinion, should be part of the politically correct purpose for education, and every school should work towards them, bring out their students their finest qualities. And obviously, if this culture of apathy and ‘heck care’ nature stand in the way, they should be exterminated. The question is how? I believe Ang is still racing to find out.

The principal of VJC has never been more correct when she declares that to students that VJ is for VS students to my batch of Sec 4s the year before. True enough, it makes no sense, if not a disgrace, to find out that the top 2 group of students are actually students from Dunman High as well as TKGS. To make matters sound worse, Victorians are actually given affiliation bonus, and yet many simply cannot make it. This scenario perhaps is always something regretful to me.

No, results of our own students certainly have to be improved. Is the school doing great in adding value to its students? For a batch of pupils who have a PSLE grades of 244 and above, (and did I mention little of these people probably study for this exam!), the institute has not at all been doing a good job. Sure, 2004 batch (us) achieves an average l1r5 of 11.1, exceeding moe expectation by 0.9, but it’s definitely not high enough when compared to other schools.

Therefore, I see a greater significance in achieving academic performance, and first and foremost starts the removal of a degenerating culture, and perhaps a co-ed system will change things, though I really doubt many girls will actually join. Remember that Singapore, if sticking rigidly to traditions, will forever remain a fishing village or a trading port, and the gradual effect of this will simply be the true disappearance from the world map. But it has developed? How? By constant re-inventing itself, by changing and adapting, and only with bold measures can a country, or even a company, surge ahead by laps. Similarly, a school too bound to its traditions will never leave its shackles and will continue to be restricted and will never be free.

So pragmatism or tradition? I have reason to believe that even the little heritage that the government keeps has a political motive – propaganda and tourism. Haha.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

why dyou say a guys school has a certain slackiness to it? maybe its another factor? look at other guys school, ri, chinese hi, they're doing well.

love the last statement abt our heritage for propanganda and tourism. :)

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters