Tuesday, August 09, 2005

governance

Tuesday, 9 August 2005 T: 14 15

Today marks the 40th anniversary of Singapore’s independence. Am I elated? Perhaps I wouldn’t yet call myself a patriot, besides submitting at last to the authorities of my government and applauding what that they have done. I wouldn’t of course be a sycophant to the PAP, but thankful somehow for all that they have done, their honesty and transparency. Perhaps to what many would suggest a monarchy, I would not exactly be against it, so as long the country is governed well and there is peace and prosperity, and people contented and having good living standards and conditions.

The PAP will need all the power that is available if Singapore is to remain competitive among the huge and resourceful nations with their abundant land and people. Yet this very danger of one-party dominant state will mean that the government has to have a flawless system to keep itself in check, and prevent corruption. When there is an honest government, I think that the nation will survive.

Part of our GP module/curriculum is the subject of Genocide, where we see the impact of poor governance and corruption. During the reign of Khmer Rouge in the 1970s, Cambodia, millions of people die. One wonders if Khmer Rouge has not been removed from power, will Cambodia itself be self-exterminated with such high records of intra-nation killing. Watching the video which displays interviews of some of the victims and soldiers, I can’t help but be horrified at the inhumanity and the effects of humanity’s selfish and self-centred nature. Men are tortured and tormented to bring out names, and they in fright and pain would spam a few hundred names, and the vicious cycle continues. Women were beaten badly by desperate soldiers unable to fulfil their lust due to rules and regulations. Some were literally drained of blood so that their blood could go to save other people whose lives are considered more worthy and useful. Young people were indoctrinated and forced to slay or be slain. Where is God in this times of terror and hopelessness? If I was there and ended up in such situations, will I submit to pain and torments and kill and torture others? Will I speak up the names of hundred others I know very well innocent to save my own neck? Will I deny and renounce my faith in response to pain and afflictions? I’ll say I will not, yet I do not really know…

The movie ‘Hotel Rwanda’ depicts a conflict between the Hutu and the Tutsi, between 2 groups of people who look so alike that the only observerable difference is their noses. Yet a conflict can accumulate to such pure violence and deranged slaughter of 800 000 men, children and women! Why are people able to kill without slightest nightmares? I can’t imagine how people can coined up such euphemism like ‘ethic cleansing’ when it’s just brutal and inhuman massacre! Men are probably the rare species of the world who go about killing one another out of pleasure, not just for survival…

If someone points a gun at my and demand me to kill, will I? Is it right for me to harm others only because I’m threatened? I would gladly die, perhaps even succumbing to suicide. How about pain? Death, which has evoked fear in thousands of men, will only be in a form of escape in such terrible circumstance. It is not something that should be afraid of. It will take place, just a matter of time…

Somehow, I learn to give thanks for what and where God has put me. The fact that I’m schooling now, and right now sitting and staring at a computer are evidence that I have fallen into the grace of God, not only the Cross, but also the thing that I possess. PAP may be a government that enjoy its dominance, but if it’s doing well, why should I give it up for Saddam. After all, no human governance is flawless, and the reign of Khmer Rouge with its idealistic non-capitalistic philosophies will never hesitate to remind us that.

1 Comments:

Blogger aPril said...

you write well :) we may not retreat into the barbaric and inhumane ways of genocide and ethnic cleansing, but all sin big or small is still sin, so maybe we should ask ourselves how we are treating the lower class, the poorer or weaker even as we progress & mature with the leadership of our government :) just a random thought :P

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters