Thursday, September 23, 2004

Cats.

12 16… Walking towards the bus-stop at night, often I happen to see a lady, in her late 30s, feeding the stray cats in our neighbourhood. She isn’t the first person I’ve seen doing so. A few years back, it was another old lady, and today I suppose she has a successor. Perhaps it’s times like this I’ve felt humanity is present in this modern age world after all. For me, I often have aspirations to serve these animals. Frequently, I too purchase come cat food and hopefully satisfy their hunger for the day. I can’t help but think, when I grow up, my life centred more and more towards my career, will I still continue to have a heart towards these creatures? Right now, in my younger days, I just hope that I’ll remain compassionate to these stray cats.

12 23… At times, I fret being in a developed country, a concrete jungle where life is so hectic. People have only time for themselves, and even children become a liability for most couples. Who have cared to appreciate the little bit of nature Singapore possess? Who have cared for the cats purring, imploring for food? Animals are treated like toys, for recreational activities, and they shall be cast aside and even threw away when they become too burdensome. As we progress in our technology, are we degenerating in our ethics and moral values? Many a times I find this to be true. My friend was telling me about people in China stuff a kitten into a bottle with the head emerging out. It will remain there for life. As it grows however, its body is limited to the space and soon it becomes deformed. I am horrified that there is a market for such horrible acts. Rulers over the animals on the land, fish in the sea and birds of the air are we (Genesis), what terrible tyrants some people made!

12 33… Life as a child is so much better, with the innocence that’s involved. They are so free, playing around, whiling away their time. In adulthood, so much wariness is present. People creates a protective shell around them, while hatching plots and schemes to achieve in their careers. Even within friends, trust is pathetically frail, and recounts of backstabs and betrayals are almost too numerous too count. Just like the cats who hunched their shoulders in preparation for an escape whenenver they see people walking past, people in the modern country created a shell for hiding purposes whenever they sense danger. I think I would want to be the fat cat lying down in the middle of the road, looking at people attempting to cross over nonchalantly, closing it eyes to fall asleep again in the afternoon sun. I think and hope of course, but I guess I’ll never be…






1 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

lol hey.. well.. that china cat bottle thing is a scam.. its not true despite the website and dunno wad.. its just to bluff pple lah.. yeah hope that makes you feel better! haha.. yeah well i guess there'll always be those who ill treat animals but just rem. that there are those who love em.. yeah.. still wanna help out at spca since we're officially 16? ;)

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters